Thursday, April 14, 2016

At The Farmer's Market


One of my favorite things to do in the Spring and Summer is visit the Farmer's Market on Saturday. If I am traveling, I will search out the local market in whatever town I happen to be in come Saturday. I love fresh "home grown" vegetables. I was one of the lucky kids who got to be raised on a full fledged farm. A lot of hard work and sweat went into the gardening process but by the time growing season was over we had enough food in the freezer and canned in Mason jars to keep us well fed until time to start the process over the next year.

So what is the big deal about the Farmer's Market? Why not just run down to the local grocery store and make a quick swipe through the produce section and pick up whatever you need? Well, there are a couple of "big deals". First, along with those fruits and vegetables you are also taking home and feeding your family all of the pesticides and GMO's that have been introduced into these foods. Just the term Genetically Modified kind of gives me the creeps. Oh yes, you've got a small little section labelled "organic", but have you looked at that stuff? Seriously looks a bit wilted to me. Maybe because I was raised on the good stuff, I know what it's supposed to look like.

Now for the second "big deal" about going to the Farmer's Market. I know about the hard work these folks sitting behind their stands put into being able to give the rest of us the ability to feed our families the quality of produce that I was raised on. I appreciate what they are doing for me because I no longer live in an area to do this for my family. What they are doing is nothing less than a labor of love for their community. They come each week Prepared To Bless.

If you never have, I encourage you to visit your local Farmer's Market some Saturday real soon. I believe you will be blessed by what you see and NO the cost is no where near overpriced. And before you go, maybe you could even give some thought as to how you might return a blessing to those working there. Do you have something that you love to share with others? Maybe you make some awesome banana bread that you could slice, wrap and offer to those you meet. Or how about the cards that I posted about earlier. Make a few, sign your name and have those on hand to just give an extra THANK YOU! If you buy plums or pecans, go back the next week with a small jar of plum jelly or a slice of pecan pie to share with those who's products you used. I guarantee you will both be Blessed.


Johnna

No comments:

Post a Comment